Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

Elizabeth Bennet is a smart and spunky girl in the eighteenth-
century. Unlike her mother and younger sisters she does not
spend her time trying to find a rich man and get him to fall in
love with her; in fact she mocks those who do so and plans to
never marry unless she falls in love first. When Mr. Bingley, a
wealthy young man, move into a house not far away her mother
is determined to get one of her daughters married to him or his
even richer friend, Mr. Darcy. Jane Bennet soon catches Bingley's
eye but Darcy seems to have a great deal of distain for the entire
town, except possibly Elizabeth.

I had tried to read this book when I was about 12 and found it
quite over my head. I recently decided to give it another go and
am very glad that I did! The characters are wonderful as is the
plot. I enjoyed the writing, it is very elegant and stately, yet has
a spirit perfectly suited to our heroine's attitude.
5 stars
Emme

No comments:

Post a Comment