Saturday, June 26, 2010

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Young Griet is a maid working in Vermeer's household. Although she begins only doing menial tasks and cleaning Vermeer's studio, in time she starts to work secretly as his assistant, culminating with her modeling for his painting Girl With a Pearl Earring.

This popular book is one person's imagining who the girl in this painting was and her connection to Vermeer. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I had heard so many singing this book's praises, but I don't think it was all that special. It is certainly well-written and the characters are interesting, but for me it lacked the special *spark* that makes a great book different from one that is just very good. I didn't feel much of an attachment to any of the characters, and that made it difficult to care overly much about what was happening to them.

This book was enjoyable and entertaining, but not perfect.

4 Stars
 
Emme

No comments:

Post a Comment