Monday, June 14, 2010

Revenge of the Rose by Nicole Galland

Jouglet is many things; spy, minstrel, advisor, manipulator and friend. This clever person's latest plan? To bring a poor knight and his sister up in the world. One will be done by convincing King Konrad to take the young knight under his wing, the other by a perfect marriage. But will Jouglet be able to keep from being caught in webs of complicated plots that fill the court?

I am very critical while I read books. I constantly edit, change and adjust. I enjoy finding clearer ways to say things, better word choices and making minor plot and character changes. It is a rare book that I become so enthralled by that I can put aside these busy mental exercises, and become absorbed in the story and writing. This was one.

The writing is smooth and well-paced; the plot (while convoluted and complicated) was not hard to follow. The characters felt real and solid, they also felt well-suited to the time the story is set in (fictional 1200's.)

My main complaint is that the plot has an occasional tendency to feel rushed. There were also some supporting characters I would have liked to see more of.

5 Stars

Emme

No comments:

Post a Comment