Monday, August 2, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

...Wow.

Words can't possibly do this book justice, but I'm going to try to write a review anyway.

So, I'll start with the characters, the most important part of any book to me. All the people in this book were interesting and engaging, from the protagonists to the villains trying to kill them off. But I use the term "villains" loosely (more on that later). Everyone had a story, a reason they were there. There were no disposable NPC's here (translation: no supporting characters with no purpose but to fill a role). But the most amazing character, and really the most amazing part of this book, was the oddly named Katniss. Or, rather, the author's ability to make you feel like you ARE Katniss. And I'm not talking about on a superficial level. I'm talking about literally feeling like you are competing in the Hunger Games on a primal level. Feeling starvation, pain, sadness, despair, adrenaline, pain, desperation, and pain. Did I mention pain? By the way, I'm absolutely not kidding about the adrenaline part; I actually had an adrenaline rush somewhere in the later part of the Games. So, yeah, the characters in this book are almost hard to describe, because, descriptions are usually based on a pros and cons, and honestly, the characters in this book are probably the most real and engaging characters in any book I've ever read. I'm not saying that they are the coolest or best characters in any book, I'm just saying you get to know them intimately.

Alright, next up is plot. As with the characters, it's hard to really say anything because of how simply epic it was. I really don't want to give anything away, and I think with this book perhaps more than any other, you should just read it and find out for yourself. The inside cover says all you need to know, so suffice to say the plot was as close to perfect as you could get. The one thing I'll say is that this book isn't a huge fight about good vs. evil. It's more like good vs. good, as dictated by evil.

Finally, I'll say a few words of warning. This book, The Hunger Games, is NOT for anyone who can't tolerate violence or, well, gore. There are situations in the book that even I flinched at, and I have a fairly high tolerance for that kind of thing. I would place an age level on this book at about 13, but I hate that kind of limitation, so if you are a hardened six-year-old, go for it.

So, to sum it up, characters: above outstanding, story: completely epic. Overall: one of the best novels I have read in my life. Any questions? Good. Expect a review of the sequel as soon as I get my hands on it.

5 Stars
 
Ben

1 comment:

  1. nice job, must have taken you AGES. rory

    ReplyDelete