Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Fablehaven is a magical preserve for magical creatures and well hidden from the public. When the caretaker of Fablehaven is pressed into service as caretaker of his grandchildren, they soon figure out that it is not a normal place. But how much will Kendra and her little brother, Seth, discover? And are the risks of knowing too much worse than the risk of not knowing what exactly is going bump in the night?

This entire book felt like an elaborate rip-off of the Spiderwick Chronicles. I kept thinking, "yep, read that scene" as I went. I won't even bother listing the gaping flaws in plot, characters and setting that disappointed me, I'll just mention the one thing I liked: The writing wasn't half bad, and I liked the use of sayings that aren't overused in fantasy lit. The descriptive writing was very well done, and I could imagine the scenes vividly without the descriptions killing the pacing.

2 Stars
 
Emme

No comments:

Post a Comment