Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

When she was 16 Esme Lennox was placed in a psychiatric
hospital. Over time and generations she stayed there, forgotten by all but her sister,who now suffers from Alzheimer's and can't properly communicate with anyone anymore.

But when the hospital closes Esme has to be moved, and Iris is contacted. Suddenly she is responsible for a Great-Aunt she
never knew she had, and who is regarded as crazy, although not a danger to others.


I read and finished this the day I got it. I was just going to read a
few pages and see what it was like, but I simply couldn't put it
down! The characters are very well-constructed and full of little
details that make them come alive. Every now and then the wildly
changing viewpoints and skewed memories threw me for a loop,
and a quick re-read was needed, but I enjoy a book that it takes
brain power to keep up with. The plot is not very elaborate, but it
has a simple beauty to it.

I highly enjoyed this book, and definitely recommend it to
readers who like strong characters and lifelike character
interaction.

5 Stars

Emme

No comments:

Post a Comment