Thursday, July 8, 2010

Waqwaq: Vol. 1 by Ryu Fujisaki

Wow. I have to say, this is one of the weirder manga I've ever read, and I mean that in a very good way. Everything in Wāqwāq is highly original, from its unusual protagonists to its un-pronouncable title. There're basically three things I care about in a manga, so I'll tell you how this book scores in each one.

Story: The story looks extremely promising, but honestly, only one volume has been published so far and it's a little hard to tell where the story is going. So far, the plot is interesting. Basically, it is set far, FAR in the future to a time when humans and machines fight for survival. It sounds like a cliché, but you will be very surprised when you see the machines in this version of Earth.

Characters: At first glance, the main protagonist, Shio, might seem like a strange little kid, but if you stick with it for a while you'll see there's more to him than meets the eye. His traveling partner, the red-blooded Kami (that's her title, not her name), is far from a one-dimensional damsel in distress. She is a very intriguing character, and I'll be interested to see what happens with her in the next volume. There is also a very convincing villain who has a migraine problem.

Art: Simply beautiful. I love the scene where Shio's father is holding onto the machine's heart near the start. The art is very detailed and perfect for the type of scenes that unfold. Robots never looked so... hmm. Adjectives fail me. Just read it.

I give this book 4 stars for promising storyline, unique character design and fantastic art.

4 stars
 
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment